Friday, October 26, 2012

Book Review: Against The Tide

Author: Elizabeth Camden
Publication Date: October 1, 2012
Publisher: Bethany House

Love and Lives are Threatened in Camden's Latest Offering

As a child, Lydia Pallas became all too familiar with uncertainty when it came to the future. Now, she's finally carved out a perfect life for herself--a life of stability and order with no changes, surprises, or chaos of any kind. She adores her apartment overlooking the bustling Boston Harbor, and her skill with languages has landed her a secure position as a translator for the U.S. Navy.

However, it is her talent for translation that brings her into contact with Alexander Banebridge, or "Bane," a man who equally attracts and aggravates her. When Bane hires Lydia to translate a seemingly innocuous collection of European documents, she hesitantly agrees, only to discover she is in over her head.

Just as Bane's charm begins to win her over, Lydia learns he is driven by a secret campaign against some of the most dangerous criminals on the East Coast, compelled by his faith and his past. Bane forbids any involvement on Lydia's part, but when the criminals gain the upper hand, it is Lydia on whom he must depend.



I am in love with the cover of this book. The ship in the background looks like something straight out of an old, torn and tattered vintage photograph. I love the sea and I am fascinated with the New England area and this story takes place in Boston right off the harbor. I also love the name Lydia and in fact it is what I would like to name my baby girl someday, if God sees fit to give me one. This book is set in the 1800’s and that was quite interesting as well, as I think that I would have fit in perfectly around that time!

There is so much that I could say in my reaction to this piece of literature because that is what it is: wonderfully rich literature. I was very impressed with this author for a number of reasons. I had never read any of her work before, but alas; I am hooked now. Elizabeth Camden drew me into Lydia’s world and invited me to be a part of it. I was not particularly interested in Lydia’s career as she works with men and numbers, and I cannot stand either for too long (joking!) However, I was fascinated with everything about the makeup of this book. The setting, the characters, and even their circumstances had me so fascinated and held me captive for the few hours it took me to finish the book.

 

Lydia was such a courageous and stable woman; I almost wish that I could be more like her sometimes. She was so particular and I would even go as far to say that she had a touch of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, although this was not a diagnosis in 1876. Lydia was bold and did not let her obvious gender set her apart in what was essentially a male dominated world. She worked in the Boston Navy Yard, surrounded my men all day long, but never let that intimidate or stop her from doing her job. She was just such a well-rounded character and I loved watching her struggle to provide for herself, even through small instances like providing enough food to eat or money to pay rent. She is a character that all women can admire and aspire to be more like.

 

The romance in this book was one of the best parts about it. It started out as a subtle occurrence and towards the beginning of the novel I was debating if there actually might be a love triangle. One relationship eventually does prevail and it takes a few twists and turns in which I was on the edge of my seat and holding onto all of my emotions for dear life. Bane especially tests Lydia’s will and makes her question her own motives at times, which I think makes for a stronger and more realistic character. I am sure that many people may classify him as the “bad boy,” but I would just call him a diamond in the rough. A very attractive diamond in the rough, from what I gather. It was quite the journey to see him irritate Lydia, and I think that him getting under her skin as much as he did helped me to fall that much more in love with his sense of humor.

 

Mrs. Elizabeth Camden, you have stolen my heart with this story and your knack for writing such inspirational characters. Please do continue and please allow me to follow you on your journey. I am truly honored to have read this book and I hope to read many more by you!


***Thank you to the author for my wonderful SIGNED copy of this book in exchange for my absolutely honest review***







3 comments:

  1. great review! This is the first I'm hearing of this book but now I'm adding it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the great recommendation, i've absolutely added this to my TBR

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! So glad to hear you enjoyed this one. Cannot wait to start reading it, Chelsey. Thanks for the positive review. :)

    ReplyDelete